Serious Injury / Illness
Serious Injury / Illness Check List
- Don not move the victim.
- Call 911
- Provide first-aid.
- Meet the ambulance when it arrives
- Do not move a seriously injured person unless it is a life-threatening situation for that person to stay where they are.
- Call 911 for Emergency Medical Services (EMS), give your name, location, and telephone number. Provide as much information as possible regarding the nature of the injury or illness, and whether or not the victim is conscious, etc.
- Return to the victim. Administer first aid (if properly trained), and keep the victim as calm and comfortable as possible.
- Remain with the victim until assistance arrives.
- If the injured person is an employee initiate the reporting procedures as directed by the department head and/or supervisor.
- Protect yourself from potential bloodborne pathogens (human blood and other body fluids). If you think you have been exposed, contact the Department of Public Safety at 7-3010 and you will be connected with the appropriate department for assistance.