Application Guide for the MFA Program in Creative Writing
Application Deadline for the 2014-2015 School Year: January 8, 2014
Overview of Application Requirements
A complete application will include the items listed below. All of these items except the official transcripts can be submitted online. Instructions are given both in the online application form and below.
(1) online application form
(2) statement of objectives
(3) three letters of recommendation (see details and instructions below)
(4) writing sample consisting of 10-12 poems (single-spaced is acceptable), or 15-20 double-spaced pages of prose, which may be excerpted from a longer work
(5) official transcripts of all previous academic work (must be sent by regular mail)
(6) GRE scores (recommended, not required)
(7) current resume highlighting any publications, awards, fellowships, or relevant writing/teaching experience
Important Application Information
- Deadline: January 8, 2014
- The School of Writing, Literature, and Film only accepts students to begin in Fall term. Do not select any other term on the online application form.
- Applicants must enter either “Poetry,” “Fiction,” or “Nonfiction” as the area of concentration on screen #4 of the online application. Your selection determines how your application will be routed to the appropriate reviewers.
Instructions for Preparing and Submitting Materials
(1) Complete the online application at https://adminfo.ucsadm.oregonstate.edu/prod/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon. You must begin by clicking on “first time user account creation.” This will initiate the process and allow you to return to your application as needed.
* Note 1: On screen #4, enter your area of concentration (see “Important Application Information,” above)
(2) Cut and paste your statement of objectives into the box provided on screen #12 of the online application. Please also upload a digital copy of the Statement of Objectives (MS Word or .pdf format) when you are prompted for any additional documents, which occurs after you pay the application fee.
(3) The three letters of recommendation may be either submitted via the online letter of reference system (screen #10 of the online application) or sent by regular mail to: School of Writing, Literature, and Film/Graduate Admissions/238 Moreland Hall/Corvallis, OR/97331-5302. Letters sent by regular mail may be sent by you, in envelopes signed and sealed along the back flap, or directly to us by the recommenders.
Most recommenders prefer the online system, as OSU will send an email to each recommender with instructions for uploading a digital copy of the recommendation.
* In either case, please ask your recommenders to compose letters on official letterhead, whether digital or paper. Each letter should attest to your academic abilities and, if you are applying for a teaching assistantship, to your promise and potential for college-level teaching. Recommendations from non-academic employers may be submitted, but they generally carry less weight.
(4) The writing sample should reflect your best creative work. Please stay inside the page/poem maximums described in the “Overview” above. Once you submit your online application you will receive an email from the Graduate School (usually within one or two days) with instructions on how to upload electronic documents. The writing sample and statement of objectives must be uploaded as separate files (MS Word or .pdf format).
(5) Upload your resume as a separate file, as in step 4 above.
(6) The official transcripts of all previous academic work must be sent directly to: Graduate School/Oregon State University/300 Kerr Administration Building/Corvallis, OR/97331-2106.
(7) The optional GRE scores should be entered in the online application system. Please also arrange for Educational Testing Services, the administrator of the GRE, to send your official electronic results to OSU, institution code 004586.